Grand Canyon's Watch Tower
Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona
National Park Service - US Department of the Interior
Historic Preservation Program
Architect Mary Colter's goal was to build a structure that provides the widest possible view of Grand Canyon yet harmonizes with its setting, when the Fred Harvey Company hired her in 1930 to design a gift shop and rest area at Desert View. Colter's answer was the Watchtower.
A perfectionist, Colter scrutinized every detail, down to the placement of nearly every stone. Each stone was handpicked for size and appearance. Weathered faces were left untouched to give the tower an ancient look. With a lavish, highly publicized dedication ceremony, the Watchtower opened in May 1933.